Total Pageviews

Monday 19 November 2012

Ebb and Flow System for Phrags

This past spring, I had the good fortune to be invited to an appreciation dinner hosted by the Toronto Artistic Orchid Association in Toronto.  A tremendous group of very enthusiastic orchid growers from the Chinese community in that city.  I was seated beside Jason Fischer who had been invited as a special guest while on a speaking engagement with the Southern Ontario Orchid Society (Toronto).  During our dinner, we talked about Phrag. kovachii, its hybrids and general culture of Phragmipediums.  One of the things Jason mentioned was that he found many Phrags respond very favourably to ebb and flow watering systems.  So, upon my return home, I looked into how to set up a system of this type.  I found myself visiting a local hydroponics retailer who was very helpful in getting together the necessary pieces and parts.

I have had my system in place for a few months now and the Phrags have certainly responded well to it.  I need to change the water every couple weeks and I am cautious not to over-fertilize in the process.  I run the system 2x a day for about a half-hour each session.  I may try adding another cycle in the spring when the temperatures start to climb.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting system. A greeting.I invite you to visit my blog of orchids.
    http://elorquideario.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete